Friday 24 May 2013

2 game day,23.5.13. Marlburian and Ancients.

On Thursday morning,Brian and I had a "cracking " little Marlburian game,involving 7 infantry regiments,8 cavalry regiments and 2 guns each.

The simple scenario,alot of manoeuvering went on before we were ready to "come to blows" which,I personally, think makes any game more exciting.

The two columns "snaking" their way towards the bridge,Brian's on the right,and mine in the background.


Fernando Falls,a piece of plastic terrain,which has seen action in many spheres of operation!!


This shot shows my column of Spanish troops,the main column is taking uppositions between the "mountain" and the Falls,whilst the "sub-column" is heading towards the high ground,to counter Brian's moves.


The first clash of arms! As expected a cavalry melee ensued on the high ground flank,Brian being the agressor.This melee took most of the game to resolve,Brian coming out the Victor and driving my units away.


This shows the fire-fight in the centre,my gun did untold damage to the unit on Brian's right flank,and this was to tell later on during the game.
We both had good and bad experiences in the centre,but it looked as if Brian would win,however a string of low dice throws from Brian saw my troops gain the upper hand,and his units began to !waver"


The left flank of my army is shown here,my vavalry have just forced Brian's back and my Irish regiment is fire-fighting his flank unit,which is quite exposed,and I have a cavlary unit "poised" to attack him-surely he has spotted it,and will take evasive action ????


"NO!!" my cavalry rode his infantry down,pinned his other infantry into square,and my gun had now turned and was about to shoot the square to pieces,Brian conceded the flank!!


This photo shows the high ground flank,with my cavalry about to secure Brian's out-flanking move by his cavalry,and my infantry outnumbering his,it was just a matter of time before I swept all before me.
In the centre Brian's troops had been throwing terrible dice,and that too was lost,so I was declared the winner.
This was a very good game,lots of movement,melees and fire-fights,I can only say I was very lucky to win it.
Roll on tonight when Brian has elected to command a Roman army against Paul and I commanding a Pyrrhic army.


Romans on the right,Pyrrhus on the left,both flanks were "vulnerable" consisting of light infantry and cavalry on one flank and Barbarian types on the other,both evenly matched.


The Barbarians advance,both Paul and Brian had initial successes,and the battle raged on through out the whole game,Paul eventually coming out on top.


How does he always manage to get in the photographs?? This shows Brian moving his light troops towards Paul's light troops,again this was "ding-dong" stuff,Brian eventually winning the flank.


My first line of spearmen are just about to be "bounced" Brian,employing correct tactics for the period,threw his Hastati at me,then exchanged his lines and threw his Princepes at me! As both were armed with Pila,my troops were "decimated" to say the least,however my second line of Phalanxes moved in and gave Brian a bloody nose!!

A cavalry battle taking place on my flank,helped by an Elephant unit (which disordered Brian's cavalry) which I just won,and drove Brian's cavalry back,which gave me breathing space and allowed my Phalanx units time to attack without fear of being hit in their flank.


The Phalanx units are engaged with the Princepes,however the supporting Elephant unit has taken fright and is rampaging between my lines.
I was fairly successful in the encounter with the Princepes,and Brian was forced to use his third line the Triarii! Things were getting messy in the centre,Paul had won his right flank,and Brian had won his right flank,it was all down to the Triarii (now where have I heard that before?)


My other Elephant unit is making its presence felt,and I have thrown my spearmen back into the fray,looks like it's all over for the Romans!!


Paul is about to attack Brian's flank,with his remaining Barbarians,it really was all over now for the Romans,however this was no "push-over",and couls I suppose be classed as a Pyrrhic Victory"

Well roll on Sunday,Graham won't be with us as he's gone to what could arguably be described as the most interesting country in the world-America! With Lakes,mountains,waterfalls,canyons,deserts and fantastic cities,however Graham is going to see a six foot mouse instead (Disney world!) Couldn't you even sqeeze in a battle-field tour ??

















































No comments:

Post a Comment